[Skip to content]

Print this page



Making a formal complaint

Our hospital staff make every effort to ensure you receive the best care, however, if you have concerns you wish to share with us, we will try to resolve them as quickly and fully as possible.  We treat all concerns seriously and making a complaint will not affect your future care or treatment at the Royal Derby Hospital.

How to make a formal complaint

  • Complete the online contact form HERE
  • Download a copy of the form HERE and post to us once completed
  • Request a copy of the form from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01332 785156 or collect one from the PALS office, within the main entrance of the hospital
  • Email dhft.complaintsteam@nhs.net
  • Write to the Chief Executive, Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Derby Hospital, Uttoxeter Road, Derby, DE22 3NE


Writing your formal complaint

  • Ideally you should make your complaint as soon as possible and within 12 months of an issue occurring
  • Provide as much information as possible, including your name, address and contact details, the names of any staff, ward numbers, clinics or departments involved and, if possible, your hospital or NHS number
  • It would help if you could identify the specific points and questions you would like addressed
  • If you are raising a concern on behalf of another person, we will need to seek consent to share their information with you, even if that person has died


NHS Complaints Advocacy

An advocate, independent of the NHS, can help you with your complaint by providing support at any stage of the process by

  • Helping to complete a complaint form or letter
  • Attending meetings with you
  • Review any information you are given


Advocates may be contacted as follows:

  • Derby city area: Derby Citizens Advice and Law Centre, 01332 295711 or via their website www.calcderby.org
  • Derbyshire area: Derbyshire Mind, 01332 623732 or via email, advocacy@derbyshiremind.org.uk
  • If you live outside Derby or Derbyshire: your local council or Healthwatch will be able to advise who your local advocacy provider is.  Details of your local council may be found on the www.gov.uk website


Advice & Support Services

If you have any questions about your complaint or need further information, please contact the Complaints Team. 

Complaints Team office opening times: 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding public/bank holidays) 

Telephone: 01332 787257/787258 

Email: dhft.complaintsteam@nhs.net

Cancel-or-change-appointment button