What is Athens?
The Athens Access Management system provides users with an individual, personal account which allows them secure single sign-on to numerous web-based services throughout the UK and overseas. Athens is an easy to use system which stops unauthorised users from using the sites, whist allowing you to use them from work/home.
Athens accounts offer access to a variety of online resources including Clinical Databases, Full Text Journals and E-Books. You will have access to these through the University E-Library gateway using your University username and password, but the Trust may subscribe to different journals to the University, so it may be beneficial to use one of our Athens accounts.
If you are employed by the DHFT you will be allowed to join Athens through your staff mambership of the Trust library for a duration of 2 years, which can be renewed. However, if you are not employed by this Trust, you will still be allowed an Athens account with us for the duration of your study. There is a simple self registration process, you just need to click on the link below.
How to register
Please note: You must have a valid University/Trust email account to register
- Go to https://openathens.nice.org.uk/
- Enter your name in the boxes provided
- Enter either your Nottingham university email account (or NHS email account if Trust staff)
- For the Enter your organisation section, start typing Derby and select Derby Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust from the drop down options given.
- For full work address, enter Derby Medical School (or your work address if employed within the Trust)
- For work telephone number please give your mobile number (or your work number if employed within the Trust).
- For ward/department, please put Derby Medical School (or your department if employed within the Trust).
- For job title, put Student or your job title if employed within the Trust.
- For job role, select Students - Placement from the drop down menu (or your job role if employed within the Trust).
- Select Temporary by clicking into the button next to the word (or permanent if permanently employed within the Trust).
- If Temporary enter your course (or placement) end date.
- Tick the T&Cs boxes.
- Once the form is complete click on submit
- A confirmation screen will then appear with your username on it. An email will be sent to you. From this email, click on the hyperlink to set up your password.
If you forget your password, you can contact the library and we will be able to access the administration system to reset the password remotely.
* If you register from a home/ non-NHS PC then you will have to wait for your NHS details to be verified before being assigned your username and having your account activated. The delay can be up to 14 days, therefore it is recommended that you register on the Trust site.
How do I access Athens?
You can login at http://www.openathens.net/
This will bring you to your own Athens account homepage where you will be able to see the resources available to you.
From this resources page, you can follow links through to specific items, such as Journals or the BMJ. you can click on the Local Resources heading and access resources which have been subscribed to locally, by the Trust library or through regional collaboration.