What is Athens?
The Athens Access Management system provides users with an individual, personal account which allows them secure single sign-on to numerous web-based services throughout the UK and overseas. Athens is an easy to use system which stops unauthorised users from using the sites, whist allowing you to use them from work/home.
Athens accounts offer access to a variety of online resources including Clinical Databases, Full Text Journals and E-Books. You will have access to these through the University E-Library gateway using your University username and password, but the Trust may subscribe to different journals to the University, so it may be beneficial to use one of our Athens accounts.
If you are employed by the DHFT you will be allowed to join Athens through your staff membership of the Trust library for a duration of 2 years, which can be renewed. However, if you are not employed by this Trust, you will still be allowed an Athens account with us for the duration of your study. There is a simple self registration process, you just need to click on the link at the bottom of this page.
How to register
Please note: You must have a valid University/Trust email account to register
- Click on the link below
- Select the NHS region "East Midlands SHA"
- Select the NHS area by clicking on the appropriate link (NHS Trent)
- Select the NHS organisation "Derby Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust"
- Scroll down the registration form, completing fields as you go.
- If you are registering from a computer not connected to the Trust you need to register with a Trust/ Academic email account for the registration to be acknowledged.
- Once the form is complete click on submit
- A confirmation screen will then appear and confirmation details will be e-mailed to you. Follow the link provided in the e-mail to set your password. Your Athens account isnow ready to use.
If you forget your password, you can contact the library and we will be able to access the administration system to reset the password remotely.
* If you register from a home/ non-NHS PC then you will have to wait for your NHS details to be verified before being assigned your username and having your account activated. The delay can be up to 14 days, therefore it is recommended that you register on the Trust site.
How do I access Athens?
You can login at http://www.athensams.net/myathens
This will bring you to your own Athens account homepage where you will be able to see the resources available to you.
You can also login via NHS evidence at http://www.evidence.nhs.uk/nhs-evidence-content/journals-and-databases
From this resources page, you can follow links through to specific items, such as Journals or the BMJ. you can click on the Local Resources heading and access resources which have been subscribed to locally, by the Trust library or through regional collaboration.