People with a life-limiting illness, such as incurable cancer and illnesses that are advanced and progressing e.g. motor neurone disease, have unique needs that cannot always be met by their usual healthcare team.
The specialist palliative care service is provided for the people of Southern Derbyshire by a compassionate team of skilled palliative care specialists.
- is the care of patients with advanced, progressive illnesses that considers the unique needs of patients and their family / loved ones
- includes the management of pain and other symptoms such as psychological, social and spiritual support
- focuses on quality of life and living as actively as possible until death
- involves all health professionals providing care and is available in all clinical settings
- includes end of life care and bereavement care
Specialist palliative care is provided by professionals specialising and skilled in palliative care
- a variety of disciplines - doctors, nurses, therapists, volunteers
- working in a variety of settings - in the home, hospital and hospice (see our services below)
- at various stages of illness
- addressing complex problems and unresolved symptoms
- working with the primary care-giving team, providing advice, education and training
Our service consists of:
- the Nightingale Macmillan Unit: a specialist palliative care inpatient unit
- the Nightingale Macmillan 24 hour advice line for patients, carers and healthcare professionals: 01332 786040
- hospital palliative care team: for patients in the Royal Derby Hospital, London Road Community Hospital and Kingsway Hospital
- community palliative care team: for patients living in Southern Derbyshire
- the Nightingale Macmillan Day Unit: a palliative care day centre
- palliative medicine outpatient clinics: at Royal Derby Hospital and out reach clinics in Southern Derbyshire
- lymphoedema service: for cancer and non-cancer related chronic oedemas
- bereavement service
Our team includes:
- five consultants in palliative medicine who work throughout the service
- a team of junior doctors
- nurses and clinical nurse specialists
- macmillan social care worker
- occupational therapist
- complementary therapist
- creative worker
- reception and administration staff
Out of hours advice can be sought via the Nightingale Macmillan Unit 24 hour advice line: 01332 786040.
There is always a consultant in palliative medicine on-call.