[Skip to content]

Print this page
.

Endoscopy

Location

Level 1, Royal Derby Hospital
(best entrances- main entrance or entrance 24)

About

 An endoscopy is a procedure where the inside of your body is examined internally using an endoscope. An endoscope is a thin, long, flexible tube that contains a light source and a video camera, so that images of the inside of your body can be relayed to an external monitor.

Endoscopes can be inserted into the body through a natural opening, such as your throat, nose or rectum. The procedure is normally carried out when you're awake, and you may be given a sedative to relax you.

Services

 The endoscopy department at the RDH carries out over 12,000 procedures annually, ranging from colonoscopies, flexible sigmoidoscopies and gastroscopies to endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP).

We are a multi-specialty department covering gastroenterology / hepatology, respiratory and surgery consultants

The department has six standard fully-equipped procedure rooms plus an x-ray room for ERCP.

80% of our activity are daycases which the patient will have the procedure and go home within a few hours. The other 20% are patients that are already in hospital. We also have an out of hour’s on-call service which covers any emergency activity.

The department also includes the national bowel cancer screening programme, which due to the changes in the age range involved has seen an increase in the number of referrals. 

Other Information

  • Please arrive on your appointment time as this will enable the receptionist to confirm your personal details and then gives the nurses time to confirm you are medically fit to proceed with the procedure. This appointment time is normally 20 minutes before your actual procedure time.
  • All patients will have received an appointment letter either after their outpatient appointment or in the post. If you have given us your mobile number you will receive a text reminding you of your appointment few days prior.
  • Please read all sheets that has been given to you as they contain important information
  • If you are taking Warfarin, Clopidrogrel or any other blood thinning products or any diabetic drugs it is important that you let us know when you have received your appointment.
  • If you are taking blood pressure tablets, please do not stop taking these.
  • If you are having a colonoscopy you will need to take some medication to clear your bowels. This should have been given to you when you received your appointment. Please follow the instructions on the information sheet.
  • If attending for a gastroscopy, please do not eat for 4-6 hours before the procedure but you may have sips of clear fluids up to 2 hours before your appointment.
  • If you are having sedation please remember you must have somebody to collect you after your procedure otherwise your procedure may be cancelled.
  • After the procedure we normally ask all patients to stay for 30 minutes in the department to ensure there are no complications.
  • Expect to remain in the department for up to 3 hours.